The grand piano in St Nicolas arrived in 2011, having been built by Broadwood in around 1910. It is a 5 foot Baby Grand and was in private ownership with one family before coming at St Nicolas.

John Broadwood was born in Scotland in 1732 and was a joiner and cabinet make. moving to London in 1761 he worked with the harpsichord-maker Burkat Shudi. in 1769 he married Shudi’s daughter and became a partner of the company in 1770. the company was based in Great Pulteney Street, London. Broadwood’s early square pianos were modelled on those of other makers, but within a decade he had radically revamped them and was granted a patent for his design in 1783. Grand piano designs followed and the earliest surviving instrument dates from 1896. With cases styled on those of harpsichords the stringing was triple throughout, with a true una-corda pedal and leather covered hammers where there would have been jacks and quills in a harpsichord. By the 1780’s Broadwood had worked with players and scientists to create an instrument capable of louder, more balanced sound, as well as more dynamic flexibility. Haydn visited the workshop in 1794 and was very impressed with what he heard and played. The domestic market for pianos (both square and grand) was growing rapidly, and by the 1820’s the firm’s annual output exceeded 1000 squares and 400 grands. This was lower than many competitors, as all of the work was hand crafted, and not yet automated. With stronger frames introduced during the middle of the 19th century, greater string tension was enabled, which gave greater accuracy of tuning, as well as stronger sound. Our instrument has all those qualities.

The instrument in St Nicolas is in private ownership but on long term loan to St Nicolas. it is available for use in worship, concerts and education.