The present organ was ordered, on March 6th 1906, by Mr George E. Bellis of “The Dell” Middleton Hall Road. Ordered from and built by Norman & Beard, it was completed in September 1906. Similar organs were built at the same time in the churches of Stirchley and Cotteridge (the original building of Church of the Ascension and St Agnes respectively, now both demolished).

Costing £671-10-0 in total, the bill was divided into £646 for the building itself, £25 for the decoration of the front pipes, with the Quebec Pine casework, and 10/- for the blowers’ signal.

The predecessor of the Norman & Beard instrument was built in 1857 at a cost of £215 by Joseph Halmshaw of Birmingham. This organ may have stood near the base of the Tower – below the original Musicians’ Gallery. It was re-erected in 1875 after a new design by R J.A. Chatwin to fit into the new chamber designed as part of the restored church. Nothing is known of its size or specification.

By October 1936, Mr Sudworth, the then organist, was complaining that the Swell reeds were losing their tuning – despite quarterly visits from William Hill and Son and Norman & Beard Ltd. The cost of fitting new tongues to replace the fatigued brass tongues – and also to revoice the two stops was £29-10-0. This included carriage to and from the factory which was in London. At an additional cost of £4-10-0, the couplers were replaced and, possibly at the same time, the hand blower was replaced with an electric discuss blower.

A Pipe Organ has a long life-span providing it has regular minor attention (tuning, etc.) and regular overhauls of varying degrees of magnitude. The most lengthy work to be carried out on the organ was during the 1940’s. In September 1944, a long correspondence began between the Churchwardens, Mr Masters (Organist) and William Hill and Son and Norman & Beard Ltd. (now at their evacuation address in Lewes, Sussex). The requested overhaul was to take place over five weeks, and cost £100. The eventual work, with all the restraints of war-time, the lack of new materials and prohibitive taxes, meant that the work did not begin until 1948 and was not completed until June 1949. The final cost was £180-15-0 and had included new thumb pistons and pneumatic mechanisms of other accessories. These additional works were suggested, and paid for, by Mr Masters, as a ”Special Thank-Offering Gift to Almighty God for our own merciful deliverance during this last war”.

Almost at its half century, the organ received its biggest overhaul. In 1964 is was completely stripped down, several parts renewed, the front was altered (including re-housing and colouring the exposed pipework) and the woodwork was carried out by choirman and master carpenter John Kennerly (Alto 1917-1976). New stops were created and the whole organ was revoiced. The work was carried out by Rushworth and Dreaper and cost approximately £3000. The opening recital was given by Arnold Richardson on 19th April 1964, and including J. S Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor, Franck’s Prelude, Fugue and Variation, plus pieces by Haydn, Mendelssohn and Whitlock and finished, with a flourish, with the Toccata (from Symphony 5) by Widor.

Apart from tuning, and an electric motor replacement, all was quiet until 1976 when the new Organist, Peter Carder, asked for another overhaul to be considered. Several schemes were put forward – including some to bring the sound out of the stone chamber into with the organ was rebuilt back in the 1870’s. Sadly, the church council found these schemes too expensive and a compromise of overhaul and some alterations of specification was arrived at. Work continued from September 1976 to January 1977 and was carried out by Hawkins and Son of Walsall. Apart from revoicing the Great Flute and Swell Voix Celeste, a Swell Principal 4’ and a Larigot1/3 were introduced, the Great Dulciana 8’ was transformed into a Quartane II and a Sub Octave tone and a Resultant Bass Pedal stop were created. Costing £4000 (plus VAT) the work was completed in time for an opening recital on 20th February 1977. Anthony Le Fleming played a programme including works by J.S Bach, Schumann, Sweelink, Vivaldi and Wesley.

Regular tuning continued until the next new custodian and organist decided another overhaul was required – but simply an overhaul this time, with no new works. Taking five weeks at the beginning of 1996, the work was again completed by Hawkins and Son.

Sources: J.V. Melling “St Nicolas, King’s Norton”; CAP Rogers 1971 Memoirs; Archive material